Toronto Western Hospital

TWH at a Glance

For more than 100 years, Toronto Western Hospital has been delivering exceptional care to patients from Toronto and across the country.

Image: Nurse in 1881
The first home for the Toronto Western Hospital was this pair of semi-detached houses at 393-395 Manning Avenue.

TWH started as a vision from 12 Toronto doctors. It opened first as public dispensary, followed by a 30-bed hospital operating out of two rented houses on Manning Avenue. In 1905 TWH was opened year-round at its present site on the corner of Bathurst and Dundas.

As a world leader in neural and sensory science, TWH is constantly pushing the boundaries of research, offering pioneering treatments and using the most advanced technologies. Our strong community and population health program provides innovative care to seniors, diabetes patients, and many multicultural groups. In addition, our expertise in musculoskeletal health and arthritis has garnered recognition for its programs in orthopaedics and rheumatology, and the hand program.

Image: Nurse in 1881
Dr. Andres Lozano performing deep brain stimulation surgery at TWH

Although TWH specializes in neuroscience, community and population health, and musculoskeletal health and arthritis, our dedicated staff provides a range of care. Patients come to us for a variety of reasons including asthma testing in our asthma and airway centre, and medical treatment of skin disorders in our dermatology centre.

TWH staff care for more than 380,000 patients each year. Our focus on patient centred care, coupled with our excellence for advancements in medicine make TWH a landmark for Canadian health care.

 


www.uhn.ca


Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Copyright © 2008
University Health Network 190 Elizabeth Street, Toronto ON M5G 2C4